Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Beginning

Music at its birth was about passing on a story, poem, history. Why have we turned this amazing piece of culture into a Industry? Yes, times change and history repeats itself, yet we consume media like a buffet table. Bloating ourselves to the point that lukewarm music is acceptable now. So many people now are musicians.  I remember in junior and high school that being a musician was a nerdy and not cool among the cool crowd, yet now it seems that everyone wants to be rockstar. Chase the dream of money and women. Why not create music just to invoke an emotion? I find it very interesting that a business model determines what top 40 or popular music will be. Not a voting system or a like or dislike this song. Why have we as the fans let the business world make up our minds on what content we want? As technology has advanced the availability of media for free has dwindled, there is even rumors that possibly a luxury tax on the internet might be coming our way. I challenge artist to make there work more available and the money will come. I remember a time when sitting around the campfire with a guitar and singing folk tunes was a good time. I went camping two years ago and couldn't find a camp spot that didn't have some electronic music of some sort blaring. That could be good because they are listening to music. Yet, it still doesn't address the issue of passing on culture. The music of nature can be very soothing. They didn't sit by the fire later and tell story's, no they got on the pads and watched Netflix or some other streamed media. Blehh.... So even while enjoying nature media is consumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment